Lawyers for former President Donald Trump on Thursday asked a judge to reduce the $5 million awarded to E. Jean Carroll after a federal jury found last month that the former president sexually assaulted her in the 1990s.
The jury found Trump responsible for Carroll’s sexual abuse and defamation. The jury did not find the former president responsible for rape, but rather for abuse that injured Carroll. The case, which was civil and not criminal, concluded that Trump was responsible for an attack, not “guilty”.
The jury awarded $2 million for Carroll’s sexual abuse claim and $2.7 million for compensatory libel damages. Trump’s lawyers alleged the damages were excessive.
Trump has promised to appeal the decision.
His lawyers said Thursday that damages should be reduced to less than $1 million, with no more than $400,000 for sexual abuse, no more than $100,000 for defamation and $368,000 or less for efforts. aimed at improving its reputation.
If the judge does not accept the reduced damages, he should allow a new trial in the case, Trump’s lawyers argued.
E. Jean Carroll Writer seeks ‘very substantial’ damages from Donald Trump for comments at town hall
Roberta Kaplan, Carroll’s lawyer, called the arguments of Trump’s lawyers frivolous, the Associated Press reported.
“This time, Trump will not be able to escape the consequences of his actions,” Kaplan said.
Carroll last month asked a court to impose new damages on Trump for his verbal attacks on her after the jury’s decision. During a town hall on CNN, Trump said Carroll was a “crazy job” and called the lawsuit a “rigged deal.”
Contributor: David Jackson, USA TODAY; Associated Press
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Donald Trump Seeks Reduction of Damages, New Trial in E. Jean Carroll Case