Offshore Drilling Innovator Expro Pumps Up Buy Zone With 750% Growth

After pumping out 750% earnings growth in Q2, offshore drilling innovator Expro (XPRO) looks to fuel even more profits in Q3. Now Wall Street forecasts of 481% EPS growth for the full year have XPRO stock exploring a new buy point.


A leader in the Oil & Gas-Field Services group along alongside Tidewater (TDW) and SLB (SLB), Expro earns a 97 Composite Rating, indicating it’s outpacing 97% of all stocks.

SLB stock — featured on Aug. 2 and again yesterday as the IBD Stock Of The Day — has just drilled into a buy zone of its own.

The Oil & Gas-Field Services industry ranks a solid No. 39 among the 197 groups IBD tracks. That’s up from No. 158 three months ago, powered by nice gains in Tidewater, SLB and Expro.

Like TDW and SLB stock, Expro has seen its relative strength line jump sharply, a sign of market leadership.

Expro Primes Another Offshore Drilling Innovation

With roots dating to 1938, Expro employs roughly 7,600 people, providing services and solutions to leading exploration and production companies in around 60 countries. The company operates in both onshore and offshore environments, with some 70% of revenue generated from the offshore drilling sector.

Expro has expertise in well construction, well flow management and production and subsea well access. Including 11% from its Subsea Well Access business, 62% of Expo’s revenue comes from Well Management. Well Construction accounts for the remaining 38%.

In Q2, Expro fueled $396 million in revenue, a 27% year-over-year gain. Earnings growth spiked 750% to 17 cents a share. Analysts forecast 657% EPS growth in Q3, leading to a 481% gain for the year. Wall Street expects 68% earnings growth in 2024.

Last month, Expro announced its first contract for advanced subsea technology. The innovation is around a single shear and seal bidirectional valve that supports well safety and helps to reduce costs. Valued at over $15 million, the three-year contract reinforces Expro’s stature as the leading provider of rental and customized subsea well access solutions.

Expro’s report card in IBD Stock Checkup points to strong institutional demand. EXPR stock sports a B+ Accumulation/Distribution Rating, 1.8 up/down volume ratio and four quarters of rising fund ownership.

XPRO Stock Pumps Up As Market Shows Support And Resilience

Following in the footsteps of Tidewater and SLB stock, Expro has just launched a new breakout.

The move comes as the Nasdaq finds support at its 50-day moving average.

As the tech-heavy index got tested earlier this week, Expro set up and cleared 23.72 buy point in a cup with handle. Thursday morning, the stock popped into buy zone, with volume trending massively higher than normal.

A better-than-expected inflation report gave the market indexes a boost.

As Expro breaks out, SLB stock remains in buy range while Tidewater has entered the 20%-25% profit-taking zone.

Follow Matthew Galgani on Twitter at @IBD_MGalgani.


SLB Rides Rebounding Oil, Gas Prices

U.S. Economic Optimism Hits One-Year Low

AI Lovefest Fuels Massive Bets On Meta, Tesla, Google And Beyond

Energy Stocks And Industry News: Oil, Gas, Solar, Coal

IBD Leaderboard Highlights The Best Stocks To Buy And Watch

Leave a Comment